Replacing an elevator is an expensive undertaking, but continuously repairing an old lift can be even more costly in the long run. If you have an old or outdated elevator in your building, deciding whether to repair or replace it is an important question. Here are some tips to help you decide.
In order to prevent you from going over your budget, it is wise to hire a consulting engineer with expertise in the field of elevators. He or she will prepare the specifications to be reviewed by the building board and management. The consulting engineer will be sure that the proposal is complete and includes any special features that are necessary or desirable.
When selecting a new elevator, choose the type you would like (cable-driven, hydraulic, pneumatic). You should also consider its appearance. Think about factors such as the type of panels (glass or wood), colors, buttons, and finishes. These are essential considerations that will have a large impact on your budget.
Consider the timeline for the project and the amount of time that will reasonably be required to complete each step in the process.
• It can take six weeks to hire a consultant, meet with the board to discuss the proposal, and write bids.
• Sending the specifications to contractors to request bids can take four weeks.
• Receiving and reviewing bids can take six weeks, and the process of choosing a contractor can take two weeks.
• It can take up to six weeks to choose the car interior, and then it can take 12 weeks for the materials to be prepared.
• Each elevator that is being replaced can be out of service for up to 10 weeks.
• Finally, it can take up to four weeks to inspect the work after it has been completed.
You should prepare your residents or business tenants in advance for the elevator outages. This can reduce the number of complaints and give them time to plan how to deal with the situation.
If your building’s elevators are old and are experiencing frequent maintenance issues, it may be time to upgrade to newer models. Modern elevators are available in a variety of drive types with a wide selection of designs and energy-efficient features that can save you money over the long term.